What is the inclement weather policy for Washington County?
- On inclement weather days, including snow, ice, or flooding conditions, WCPS transportation director and staff travel designated inclement weather routes that are representative of some of the critical areas for safe school bus travel throughout the county. During the inclement weather routes, the director of transportation communicates with the county roads department, state highway administration, and other surrounding counties’ school directors of transportation as to the conditions in the neighboring areas. After reviewing local information and the DTN Satellite Weather Service information, the director of transportation contacts the superintendent to recommend changes in school status, as needed. Final determination is normally made prior to 5:30 a.m. with media notifications occurring prior to 6 a.m. Depending on specific weather situations, the timeline may be earlier or later. The primary consideration for delay or closure decisions is the safety of students traveling to and from school.
How Can I Find Out If School Is Closed?
- Parents and staff should monitor the following notification outlets for information about school closings or delays. In case of a break-down in the communication plan due to power outages or other technical difficulties, parents and staff should familiarize themselves with more than one source for this information.
- Radio: WJEJ/1240 AM, WCRH/90.5 FM, WQCM/94.3 FM, WIKZ/95.1 FM, WAYZ/104.7 FM, WFYN/101.5 FM, WPPT/92.1 FM, WARK/1490 AM, WWEG/106.9 FM, WLTF/97.5 FM, WICL/ 95.9, WFMD/930 AM, WFRE/99.9 FM, WDHC/92.9 FM, WCST/1010 AM, WKGO/106.6, WCBC/1270 AM, WKZG/107.1 FM
- Television: WHAG/Hagerstown, WRC/Washington, WUSA/Washington, WBAL/Baltimore
- Antietam Cable: Channel 99
- Website: http://wcpsmd.com/
- WCPS Central Office Main Line: 301-766-2800